DOSS1 Modernization Explaination
Sorry if this post is poorly written, I'm in a bit of a rush right now.
Also, this post may use more technical terms so don't feel ashamed if you don't understand some of it. :P
This is only the backstory if you feel like reading it. You can skip to the next section if you aren't interested.
A few days ago, I started DOSS1 up again for the first time in about two years. I made a poll about what server should become the new main server hosted on port 25566 and DOSS1 won by one vote to a new server. There were a few other options but they got so little views I shouldn't even bother mentioning them.
When I say the main server, there are two other servers, a private whitelisted server on port 25565 and a Minecraft alpha server hosted on port 25567. The alpha server requires a bit of extra setup to use, though. Contact my directly to join!
So, I kept DOSS1 up and updated it to Spigot 1.8 so that I could install ViaVersion so players could join on 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12. It helped a bit, but the server's still not native to 1.12, therefore newer features, such as elytra, cannot be used.
Soo... I came up with a solution for it but there some things you must know before I do it.
To modernize and update the server from 1.8 to 1.12, I will do the following:
- Create a fresh new server running Spigot 1.12.
- Recover the old banned-ips and banned-players .json and .txt.converted, crash-reports, logs files, as well as some other more technical files.
- Recover all the contents of the plugins folder.
- Copy directories from the plugins folder.
- Gather all 1.12 plugin .jar files from new plugin sources.
- Erase all Essentials-related files.
- Replace Essentials .jar files with EssentialsX .jar files.
- Erase all GroupManager-related files.
- Replace GroupManager .jar files with PermissionsEX .jar files.
- Restore essential files from old recovered GroupManager folder.
- Fix any Java exceptions from new files.
- Restore world, world-nether, and world-the-end
And that's all. Now, this is pretty risky because if I make one wrong move, something could get corrupted or messed up. I'll make sure to remove
nobackup from the current folder to allow a quick backup. I'm going to try to do this over the weekend because it's going to take some time so if you log onto the server and see nothing, I'm probably not done with the process yet. Thank you for understanding. If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well, contact me before the weekend via in-game mail on the server. Address is
For those who want to try that alpha server I was talking about earlier, download MultiMC from the internet for your OS, open it, and create a new profile inside it with the Minecraft version alpha 1.2.6. Then, you can join the server